Language Arts - Grade 6
Ms. Brenda Schneider
320-251-2159 ext. 4221
Grade Six Language Arts Syllabus
Language Arts Standards and Course Topics
I. Reading III. Speaking, Viewing, Listening & Media Literacy
II. Writing IV. Language
Based on mastery of the MN State Standards
A = Exceeds B = Meets C = Partially Meets D/F = Does Not Meet
Please check skyward to keep updated on progress.
Collections Houghton Mifflin Harcourt textbook.
Readers Workshop-Students must select and read various books, novels, etc. and complete a reading review to show comprehension. They are required to read in school and at home for 30 minutes daily.
Speaking, Viewing, Listening
Strategies for proper communications and presentations.
Grammar Notes and writing activities and lessons to support writing strategies.
Technology: iPads, Schoology, Google Docs, Word Processing, Research. Etc.
What do I need to bring to class?
-Pocket Folder with Pencils, Pen, Highlighter -Binder with Agenda and Loose Leaf Paper
-Independent Reading Book -Agenda - Fully Charged iPad
How can I be successful in language arts?
-Be On Time -Use Agenda -Ask Questions -Set Goals
-Be Prepared -Participate -Be Respectful
-Be Organized -Complete Assignments -Have a positive attitude
Write assignments in Agenda every day.
Complete all assignments and independent reading at school and at home.
Classroom Procedures. What you should know about our classroom.
Procedures are a part of daily life. They help us run smoothly and in a organized manner. We follow procedures for playing a game, using the internet, boarding a plane, and crossing the street. They help us function in society by letting us know the acceptable and efficient ways of accomplishing something or earning success. Procedures may vary in certain setting: school, home, the Mall, Sports, etc.
1) Enter room quietly and take your seat immediately. Taking out your materials and write assignment and daily learning goal in agenda. Place other materials on floor under your chair. Prepare to begin class.
2) If you were absent, it is your responsibility to find out what you missed. You can check Schoology and Skyward, Call a friend, or check the assignment board. If you have questions-Please ask.
3) Raise your hand to ask questions or contribute information. Everyone is expected to participate in class.
4) You will know when the teacher needs your attention because I will send a signal and then you must immediately stop what you are doing and look at the teacher and be ready for instruction.
5) Use your binder and ipad appropriately.
6) Use class time wisely. Keep working until the last minute of class. Do not start putting items away early as it disturbs others.
Dear Students and Families,
Welcome to a new and exciting year at North Junior High! Your middle school years are an extremely important part of your future. Together we will experience academic learning and personal growth. The Language Arts Curriculum includes Collections Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Textbook and Writing, Communication, Guided and Independent Reading, Poetry, Research, Readers Workshop Strategies, and Ipad Technology. You will be given many opportunities to express your thoughts in writing, communications, and use of technology. Our classroom will provide a safe and positive environment to put you inventive ideas to work. I am looking forward to being inspirational and motivational in your learning progress and am confident that you will be academically successful.
Students need to bring all materials to class and be prepared to participate everyday. Students are expected to write assignments in their Agenda EVERY day. There is usually time to complete work in class, however, parents are asked to check their child’s Agenda and Skyward Accounts and encourage them to complete any unfinished/missing assignments. All assignments should be kept in the student’s Binder and online in Schoology for best effort and completion. Students should take their binders, iPads, and chapter book home to complete work but must return them daily. Please remember to charge the IPad every night. We are here to support and guide your child’s learning during the school year.